Where the fantasy materializes
When it comes to the independent fabric stores, I've shopped at a few in different parts of the globe: Seville, Spain; Faro, Portugal; Budapest, Hungary; Villnius, Lithuania; Moscow, Russia; Montreal, Canada; San Rafael, California; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I might write about those experiences in another post.
Today, I want to talk about the store to which I still have to cross a bounty line, yet it's close to home: G Street Fabrics of Rockville, MD. It's been family owned since before my parents were alive. The locations of the store changed throughout the years, yet the substance stayed the same. Besides beautiful fabrics of different fibers and hues from around the world, trims and bridal adornments, threads, needles and buttons, G Street sales dead-stock fabric at affordable prices. Good for consumers, great for the environment!
My first introduction to G Street Fabrics happened 30 years ago, when I first moved to the USA. Since then, many purchases of fabric, tools, sewing machines and various other sewing-related items were made. I came to the store with some of my clients for in-store fabric exploration. I sent my sewing students to G Street for education on fabrics and notions. And when my friend needed large yardage of pure white silk for a traditional burial of her relative, I knew that G Street would be the place to get it— and it was.
Everyone celebrates the 250th birthday of the United States in their own way. My celebration is to acknowlege the people and places that made my transition to this country smoother, and enriched my life here with positivity and consistency in ever-changing times. G Street fabrics is one of those places.

Comments
Post a Comment